The GWG Company was incorporated by A.E. Jackson, A.C. Rutherford and C.A. Graham on January 30th in Edmonton, Alberta.
Local 120 United Garment Workers of America (UGWA) was established in April by seven employees, the minimum number of members required to form a union.
GWG registered its trademark interlocking initials with wings and a red dot in April.
GWG moved to 10438 Namayo Street (97th Street), Edmonton.
The company distributed goods regionally, west to Victoria and east to Regina.
GWG manufactured 3,000 shirts for the Canadian government and 20,000 pairs of British Army service trousers with a promise of more wartime contracts to follow.
Local 120 negotiated time and a half for overtime.
By 1917, GWG was the first garment manufacturing company in North America to introduce an eight-hour day and 40-hour week.
The Alberta government introduced its first Factory Act: An Act for the Protection of Persons Employed in Factories, Shops and Office Buildings, in April 1917.
GWG moved to a former department store at 10305 97 Street, Edmonton.