- The Royal Alberta Museum was the first ever to conduct a major excavation of a fossilized prairie dog colony.
- The Royal Alberta Museum has the largest public collection of early fur trade artifacts from the Hudson's Bay Company and the North West Company posts in western Canada, dating from 1790.
- The Royal Alberta Museum has the largest collection of mounted birds in Canada.
- The combined Program collections contain over 10,000,000 objects.
- The Royal Alberta Museum has one of the best collections of religious vestments and implements in Canada.
- The Royal Alberta Museum houses large artifacts in approximately 3,720 square metres of warehouse space outside the Museum.
- The Bug Room, the Museum's highly-acclaimed live invertebrate gallery, is the first of its kind in western Canada.